Barbara A. Martindale- For What It's Worth March 3, 2014
This is yet another column taking items from different Sachem issues that may be of interest to readers. Of course, when your writer finds intrigue, the bits of information are passed on.
In June 1987, the loonie, Canada's new dollar coin, slid into consumer pockets. This marked the first change to Canadian currency in 50 years, when the 25-cent bill was withdrawn. The gold-coloured coin with a picture of a loon meant vending machines had to be reworked to accommodate the coin. The old dollar bill was being bought up as a souvenir.
In 1964, Dick Zandberg commenced the Dick's Catering business with one truck to serve lunch to Caledonia business owners at their place of business. In 1976, son Wally and Ruth Zandberg took over the business and it became JCA Food Service Limited serving food to industrial sites, construction sites, local garages and other businesses. JCA is derived from the names of the grandchildren, Jeremy, Christopher and Adam. A growing business for 50 years, JCA Food Service remains a family business on a much grander scale, with merchandise vending machines, water cooler service, catering services and more.
During the summer of 1972, the Sachem office was selling the reprint of the 1879 Historical Atlas, which included the Norfolk Historical Atlas. At least four or five different lots of the large reprinted atlas from Mr. Phelps of London were sold. There were some family homes that had kept the original, a rare and valuable treasure. A very popular reprint book, there are still requests from individuals wanting to obtain a copy which, of course, is long out of print. (Read it online here)
Roller-skating was popular in the late 1880s. Taken from the Centennial Edition of the Sachem in 1956, Caledonia had its own large roller-skating rink, built on the "north bank of the Grand River between Keith Lamb's and the river about 1885." That location is about where the new River Walk is situated today. "It was very popular for a few years. This roller-skating building was afterwards used by Samuel Avery as a furniture shop.”
Also from the same Centennial Edition, quoted from a March 20, 1861 Sachem issue "there will soon be a temporary structure over the Grand River at this place; and in the mean time Mr. William Slater is running a Ferry Boat for the conveyance of teams, etc. across the river, at low rates, for which he has earned the gratitude of the public generally.”